Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

124 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for stomach pain and bloating

Answered by
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3094 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had an episode of gastritis following a Z pack for sinusitis and have been on protonix 40mg BID since march, however everytime I my stomach feels sore not burning like GERD
I also have a lot of gas and bloating
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fibroscopy, IBS, see gastroenterologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The protonix you are taking is an appropriate drug for peptic ulcer disease, for it reduces gastric acid secretion and favors healing of ulcers in persons who do have ulcers.

It is important to know if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease before ? and if you have been treated for this before.

Drugs can as Azithromycine, (Z pack) can irritate the stomach and cause pain. However, it is important to get a fibroscopy done, especially if the pain is very intense, persists even with taking drugs like proton pump inhibitors for all this while. This shall give a proper appreciation of the gravity of the lesions and orient treatment. In case ulcers are seen, the borders can be removed and sent for biopsies. It is important to note that early stages of some stomach cancers do present as such. Doing a test for Helicobacter Pylori, a germ known to be at the origin of most ulcers could be helpful. If present, specific antibiotics are prescribed to get it eradicated and a maintenance treatment usually proton pump inhibitors prescribed.

Gas and bloating might not be related to peptic ulcer disease or Z pack irritation consequences. Irritable Bowel Syndrome, IBS, especially of you got any family history of it needs to be carefully checked for.

Seeing a gastroenterologist is the best thing to do in my opinion. Kind regards.

Please, do feel free sending further follow up questions, in case you got any specific concerns. I will humbly put in my small contribution. Kind regards

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Gastric acid

doctor1 MD

Hi, was just wondering, for nearly a year I've had a constant feeling of nausea, my GP put it down to stomach acid but no antibiotics have worked that they have given me. But I do get a bit of acid reflux. Sometimes the nausea is worse, especially when travelling, some time after eating and before bedtime. Just wondering if there's any suggestions? I'm sick of going my GP and asking if I'm pregnant about 20 times (which I know I'm not, many tests taken), thanks

doctor1 MD

Hi. I am 29 years old and was diagnosed with a higher stomach acid. Yesterday morning around 4am I was in a bad condition and this time I was so worried because while the acid in my stomach was so high, Im chilling while my body feels so hot. Its just like im in fever. I was just wondrin if this is a normal effect of a higher stomach acid. I was so stressed that day working around 14-16hrs in my computer.

doctor1 MD

I have had a chronic sore throat wit he feeling of a lump in my pharynx for about twelve weeks. No cough , no taste of blood. I have had episodes of GERD on a sporadic basis. My voice is affected. I take Lipitor and lisinipril daily.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a sweet taste in mouth. Everything I taste is sweet, even a salt and vinegar potato chip or a salty nacho. I have had this symptom for 3 days now. Additionally, I am feeling lightheaded. Are these symptoms related? What could be the...

doctor1 MD

Hello I have an on going question so I am currently in the middle of trying to figure out what is going on since beginning of oct I started getting this irritation in my throat after I would eat I seen my gp she said esofogus reflux feels like a...

doctor1 MD

hi,i am 47 year male,i have head aches when ever i am exposed to sun even for 5 minutes. I usually have stomach acidity and digestion problem maybe irritable bowel syndrome for the last 20 years. lot of times i have acidity problem, and i have noticed the headache is severe if i have stomach acidity.

doctor1 MD

the past two days I've had almost Constant heartburn/acid reflux feelings in my stomach, after eating some grilled food. it's kept me up and this morning i decided i had to do something, so i went into the bathroom and vomited. this vomit was extremely concentrated, brown, and stung my throat unlike even pure stomach acid had from vomiting. I also found a small, bloody piece of what looked like snot or something similar. What's going on?