Suggest treatment for stomach cramps and diarrhea

Gastroenterologist
Question
I just came back from visiting XXXXXXX During the trip I started having diarrhea. That was on Sunday (July 27). I still have diarrhea all most every hour. More diarrhea if I start bending over and unpacking boxes (we just moved). And when I eat, I poop out the food within the same hour of eating. I'm tired, weak. I have a lot of stomach cramps. The only time I feel good is when I'm asleep.
I went to a new small/satellite ER yesterday. Don't think the dr knew anything about stomach problems. He didn't do a stool test. He says they are inaccurate. My blood work, was good. He said I had the stomach flu. I know what the stomach flu feels like, and this is not the stomach flu. He prescribed me 1. Sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160MG
2. Loperamide
I haven't taken them. I'm worried about the side effects of the sulfameth and the other one stops diarrhea.
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following suggestions.

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

I advise to send your stool at the lab to get it examined for ova/parasites. Until the results are in, I advise to:
- take pepto bismol or tasectan for diarrhea
- start taking probiotics orally
- increase fluids intake (water specifically) with OTC O.R.S
- You can ask the doctor to prescribe Flagyl for the diarrhea. As you traveled to XXXXXXX Giardia intestinalis is among the commonest pathogens causing diarrhea apart virus. Using Flagyl will help stop diarrhea too.

Wish fast recovery! If anything unclear, do not hesitate to write me back!
Dr.Klerida