• question-icon

Suggest treatment for stomach cramps along with alternating diarrhea and constipation

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: For the past three months I have had irregular bowel movements (approximately every 3 days). It starts with a low cramping and then the stools are very loose (but not truly diaherral (sp?). They are light in color and I have not had any noticeable bleeding with the stools. Yesterday I had the feeling of needing to have a bowel movement and before I could get the 15 ft to the bathroom I started to loose control of the movement.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to constipation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I have gone carefully through the details. The entire presentation seems to be due to constipation. As your body tries to propel the residual fecal matter forward, the constipation alternates with loose stools. This is frequently encountered. My suggestions would be to:
* Avoid long gaps between meals. Take small but frequent meals.
* Spicy food has to be avoided.
* It is very important to exercise regularly.
* High dietary fiber intake has to be ensured. Plenty of green leafy vegetables are to be taken. Fiber supplements like psyllium husk can also be taken along. This has to be taken daily at dinner irrespective of whether the problems are present. Restoralax can be taken.
* Please go through the following for a list of fiber rich foods:
http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/063008p28.shtml

Hopefully that would help.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha