Suggest treatment for stomach bloating

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 3 Apr 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I came down with irritable bowl syndrome 4 years ago and ever since I wake up every morning with a bloated feeling and I cannot go back to sleep. I have to get up and have a bowl movement then I am ok for the rest of the day. some nights I wake up around 2 or 3 am and have to try to get comfortable enough to to back to sleep. then wake up for good around 5 or 6 am. is there anything I can do to prevent getting bloated during the night I do not get bloated every night but still wake at 5 to 6am to go to the bathroom
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Take simethicone&do some diet changes.... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns. I usually advise my patients to do regular check ups to rule out organic problems that might be causing bloating feeling. If nothing organic is diagnosed, I usually prescribe to take simethicone 3 times daily to reduce bloating or ease the uncomfortable feeling. Furthermore, I also highly advise to: - eat often, small portions and slowly, - do not use straw when drinking - avoid carbonated drinks/fatty foods - avoid chewing gums or candies to prevent too much air forming inside your intestines, especially in the afternoon or at dinner. Sedentary life will also aggravate feeling bloating; so, I highly recommend to get physically involved. Controlling stress is also crucial to improve your IBS symptoms. Hope it was of help! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have! I'd be happy to assist you further!
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 13 hours later
is simethicone over the counter medicine. or do I need a prescription for it
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: So far, simethicone is an OTC drug... Detailed Answer: Hi, To my knowledge, simethicone is an over-the-counter medicine. However, you can ask at your local pharmacy if it is available as otc. Otherwise, a prescription by your doctor is needed. Dr.Albana