Suggest treatment for stomach bloating

Posted on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello:
My mom is 83 (lives in XXXXXXX - I'm in To) and she had lost ten pounds in a year (she's very frail, has osteoporosis). She's has bloating after eating for a long time (my brother & I kept nagging her until she finally went to the doctor) She had a fecal occult (?) test and the doc said her levels were over 200, which I'm sure means cancer. (I lost my dad to cancer four years ago at 84). She's having an ultrasound on Tuesday and then gets results on Friday. She has had a colonoscopy and they found one polyp (no news yet). I'm a mess, as at 83, advanced cancer means either chemo and is likely fatal, isn't it? Please help.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait till biopsy report is available.

Detailed Answer:
I have read your case and I think it is too early to think about cancer. Polyp in intestine can be benign. I think you have to wait till biopsy report of polyp is available. So just on the basis of alpha feto protein level , we can not labelled it as cancer. Also If its turn out to be cancer then also we have to see if it is in intestine or spread in other part of the body. So i have following suggestions for you.
1. Get biopsy of polyp through colonscopy.
2. CT scan of the abdomen is better then ultrasound for abdomen.
3. Occult blood test in stool.
Please get these tests and according to that further management can be planed. If disease is not spread out side intestine then surgical treatment is possible. After this chemotherapy can be given
I hope this answer will be helpful for you. Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement