Suggest treatment for stomach bloating and gurgling

Posted on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 in General Health
Question: I have had diarrhea for 5 weeks, No blood, do pain, just gas, bloating and diarrhea. I have not travelled or eaten anything strange in recent months, I saw my primary care physician who did bloodwork and an abdominal Xray which was all normal, She changed my probiotic and wrote an order for a colonoscopy which I will get, but I really need relief now. Is there something I can take to ease the gurgling and gas.?The BRAT diet isn't helping.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can use absorbents or Loperamid.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.
Since you have no pain,no fever,no blood in stools you can use some medications to relieve your symptoms until the diagnosis is determined and you can take specific treatment according to the cause.
-You can use Absorbents which are compounds that absorb water.
Absorbents that are taken orally bind water in the small intestine and colon and make diarrheal stools less watery.
Examples of absorbents that you can take are Attapulgite (Donnagel,Rheaban,Diasorb) or polycarbophil (Equalactin).

If this doesn't work you can use Loperamid (Imodium) which is an anti-motility medication and it is available without a prescription.
The usual dose is 4 mg initially, followed by 2 mg after each loose stool (the maximum dose is 8 mg/day).

These drugs can be used only for symptomatic relief(they don't treat the cause of the diarrhea but only relieve the symptoms) and for short term treatment until the diagnosis is established.

The most important treatment is to replenish lost fluids, salts, and electrolytes to prevent dehydration; clear liquids as well as electrolyte-rich formulas like Pedialyte and Gatorade can be helpful.

I suggest to consult this with your treating doctor.

Hope my answer has helped.If you have any further question please feel free to write me,I will be happy to help.

Wish you a quick and complete recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rovena Murati