Suggest treatment for stomach ache with vomiting and diarrhea

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 5 May 2015 in Child Health
Question: hi - I have a 13 year old son, last Monday and Tuesday he had a bad stomach ache with vomiting and diarrhea and was very tired. He then was pretty much ok for 3 days, yesterday it started over again - and very very lethargic
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis, Hydration ,assess clinically for antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The most likely diagnosis is Gastroenteritis. The most important management in such a case is fluid replacement to prevent dehydration. If there is blood, pus cells and leucocytes in stool, a high TLC count and high grade fever then most likely he would require hospital admission to start him on I.V fluid and antibiotics. Based on clinical assessment if the patient is stable then isotonic fluids like ORS can be advised. Anti spasmodic like hyoscine butylbromide can be given for the stomach ache. Try to keep a track of the recent food items that have been consumed and if there was any correlation with the diarrhea and vomiting episodes. Food allergies and worm infestation should also be assessed for. Blood electrolytes, ESR /CRP , RFTs including BUN, Creatinine ,stool for ova and parasite should also be done as part of the workup, in consult with your doctor.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj