Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for stitches around foreskin post circumcision

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1038 Questions
I had my penis circumcised more then 7 years ago. My penis still had the stitches around the end of the skin. Is there any over the counter medicine that I can use to heal thee stitches/remove it
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No over the counter drugs remove stitches

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query

I believe the stitches that were used are non absorbable and that is why the stitches are still present after 7 years. Ideally, those stitches ought to have been remove at most 7 days after there were placed.

The ideal thing to do is to get them reviewed by a doctor whom after the review may remove them as the case may be. If you could forward some pictures, i could have a better understanding of the situation.

I do not use drugs in my practice to remove sutures and i do not know of doctors who do. Absorbable sutures get absorbed by the body while non-absorbable sutures do not and thus they are removed.

Hope this helps you. If you have further query, i will be glad to respond.
Dr Achuo
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor