Suggest treatment for stiffness after an ankle injury

Posted on Fri, 8 May 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Hi. I broke my ankle 3 weeks ago with a plate and screw fixation. I do not have a lot of ankle pain but as to be expected my ankle is stiff. I have moderate burning sensation all over my foot, mostly on top. I believe it is nerve pain but am not sure it is normal. Is it normal? How long will the burning pain last?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is normal finding.

Detailed Answer:
The stiffness after an ankle injury and the burning sensation that you are having are both normal findings. This happens due to soft tissue swelling putting pressure on the superficial nerves. The sensation will take 5-7 weeks to improve. By then with the help of regular physiotherapy your stiffness will also improve and the soft tissue swelling will subside.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon