Suggest treatment for stiff neck

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Tue, 16 Dec 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: What's the best treatment for stiffness in the head caused my neck disc problems.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get MRI to reach the root cause.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney.
I understand your concern.
See , in acute pain episodes one can use Anti inflammatory pain killers (NSAID's) if no contraindication is there with muscle relaxants like Thiochochicoside. Along with this hot fomentation, cervical collers, ultrasonic physiotherapy helps a lot. Even you can apply Diclofenac gel locally.
Now this helps in acute condition only.
Important here is to find out the cause of cervical pain. It is important to rule out if there is any nerve compression or disc protrusion.
In cases of associated neuropathic pains, Pregabalin is very helpful.
Also SSRI like Duloxetine helps in reducing the chronic pains.
But if there is any nerve compression, associated muscular weakness, a surgical intervention might be required.
I would advise you to share my opinion with your doctor and get a MRI Cervical Spine done.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy.