Suggest treatment for stiff neck and headaches
Can be due to cervical spondylosis.
Thanks for posting your query.
Stiff neck with headache is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis or a muscle stiffness due to traveling and abnormal neck positions. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine.
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
4. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
5. You can avoid using a pillow.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Stiff neck headache wisdom tooth
- Stiff neck headache and eye issues
- Stiff neck headache sore throat
- Stiff neck headaches fainting
- Stiff neck headaches dizziness
- Stiff neck headache palpatations
- Left stiff neck headache palpatations
- Throat hurts stiff neck headache
- Health symptoms lightheaded stiff neck headache fatigue
- Stiff neck headaches 39 weeks