Suggest treatment for staph infection in foot

Dr. VINAY KUMAR

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I got a deep scratch on the back of my right heel and on the side of my foot., it got infected and the place has turned black, I just got over what my Doctor told me was staph infection. I am broke out on my stomach and upper front of my thighs with a rash and I got bit in the back of my head with a tick.
Can you tell me what it all is. Since I was bit by the tick, at night I have a sensation of rolling backwards really fast every night, sometimes 2 or 3 times a night. xxxxxxx XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. VINAY KUMAR 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need proper medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome to this site!
I am Dr V XXXXXXX

I have noted your complaints. My analysis is that all the problems are manageable but it will require some medication taken regularly and it will require some days before the improvement is apparent.

For the foot scratch, you might consider applying Mupirocin ointment which is a highly effective antibiotic for local use. You also need to take oral antibiotics. Some of the choices are a combination Amoxicillin and Clavulanate, Linezolid, or another broad spectrum antibiotic. As you have a history of intolerance to antibiotics, I would suggest that you might use one that has suited you well in the past.

For the rash on thighs, back of head, and abdomen, you are likely to respond well to a combination of antibiotic with weak steroid cream like one having Clobetasone with Gentamycin.

Taking antiallergic medication in the form of Levocetirizine 5 mg per day will relieve itching.

In the meantime, please do take care of your diet and hygiene. Also see if there is any infection in the bed linen and please do attend to that as well.

I hope these measures will help you a lot.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. VINAY KUMAR 15 minutes later
Do I have to have prescriptions from Doctor for all of these medications?
Answered by Dr. VINAY KUMAR 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You are welcome with your query!
As far as I know, Levocetirizine should be available even without prescription. So should be the case with antibiotic creams. About oral antibiotics, I must admit that I am not sure. The regulations vary based on geographical location.

By the time, you are able to procure your needs, you can use saline compresses for the affected areas which will soothe the skin, wash off any residues from the infection, and aid in early recovery.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help you.

Best wishes from our team at Healthcaremagic!