Suggest treatment for stage four kidney disease

Excellent

Question
Thanks for the inquiry. I have discovered that I have Stage Four kidney disease. My creatinine level is 2.5. Because of heart problems (I'm a mess!), I'm taking medication -- such as torsimide, lisinipril, omniodorone, and vocotine occasionally -- that can elevate creatinine. I'm wondering if alternative drugs are avalable. I also need to know what I should and should not eat, and how much sould I exercise. Additionally, are there any supplements available that strengthen kidneys?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
continue drugs. consult nephrologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Regarding medications torasemide is a diuretic which improves renal function and you need to continue this. Lisinopril should be continued but need to monitor potassium levels regularly. Amiodarone has been put for cardiac arrhythmia, and the dose should be reduced from initial 400-600mg to 100 - 200 mg per day after few weeks.
Keep checking for complete blood count, serum creatinine levels, lipid profile and potassium levels. You need to continue all the drugs you are on.

Before you start any dietary modifications or treatment , it is important that we confirm the diagnosis. You need to get Renal Function Tests, Electrolytes and Ultrasound to look for any changes of Chronic Kidney Disease.So i would advice that you see your nephrologist first, who can do a detailed evaluation. Meanwhile kindly watch your urine output. Watch for uremic symptoms like nausea, vomiting etc. Try avoiding Potassium rich foods like Citrus fruits etc.
In case you are having decreased urine output, you might need sodium and water restriction to avoid volume overload. Daily mild exercises, walking will help you.

Hope this information answered your concern and is helpful to you.Feel free to ask ask for any query. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you faster recovery and good health.