question-icon

Suggest treatment for stage 4 lung cancer

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: Is there any study or evidence of anything that can assist in prolonging a life after diagnosis of stage 4lung cancer.? Also if patient has no symptoms should chemotherapy be advised to prolong life or is it to be done when he has symptoms. ? Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Chemotherapy is advised in all patients with stage 4 lung cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
Stage 4 lung cancer is end stage cancer which is inoperable and incurable.
And if patient is asymptomatic then chemotherapy should be given to prevent further spread of tumour.
In many cases it also reduces the tumour size.
So life expectancy can be prolonged.
Without chemotherapy, stage 4 lung cancer is having life expectancy of less than 1 year.
With palliative chemotherapy, we can prolong patient's life. With chemotherapy, life expectancy is more than 1 year.
So chemotherapy should be started irrespective of symptoms in stage 4 lung cancer, to improve life expectancy.
Which distal organs are involved?
What is the size of actual lung mass?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist