Suggest treatment for stage 4 cancer

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 30 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: My dad was recently diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic colony cancer with mets that have formed in his liver. He also has inflamed lymph nodes. He also has type II diabetes. Can you tell me what are his chances for recovery and what is the best thing I can do to help him? Nutritionally I am thinking of giving him glucerna shakes two times a day to help him maintain his weight. Diet wise I want to provide him with whole foods, no red meat, healthy fats, fruits in moderation, vegetables, low fat dairy, and basically follow a low inflammation diabetic diet. Can you tell me if this is ok and if there is anything else that could do to help him?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer....explained below
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Very frankly speaking a stage 4 cancer with metastasis to distant organ has a very grave prognosis and this situation can not be reversed. There is no way by which your father can be cured now. He has a limited life now.
Best treatment you can offer is to give him a loving care by not only by you but by your all family members. He should not feel isolated any time.
As far as nutrition is concerned,you are giving it correctly and there is nothing which I would want to add in this.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Thanks