Suggest treatment for stage 3B breast cancer
My mother has been diagnosed with stage 3B breast cancer and has undergone 4 cycles of Adriamycin/Cyclophosphamide chemotherapy cycles. She needs to undergo 4 cycles of Paclitaxel as well.
We have an appointment with the surgeon to review her for the surgery. Either they will do the surgery now, or will wait till all chemotherapy has been administered.
In the surgery, they will most likely do lymph node dissection. What are the chances of Lymphedema after Mastectomy with lymph node dissection and what we could proactively do before/after surgery to minimize the chances of getting it
Hello sir, I'm so sorry to hear about the problem.
There are significant chances of lymphoedema after lymph node dissection in cervical region because of very rich supply of the lymph vessels and drainage from other parts of the body.
But in the hands of experienced surgeon and new surgical techniques like profound use of cautry and clips (in case of need).
But there is nothing much that can be done preoperatively to prevent the same except good diet and avoiding excess of fatty foods.
After the surgery there are certain measures which can help in dealing with it viz -
- lifting and supporting the arm on a higher platform than the rest of the body
- low fat diet
- avoiding use of the arm as much as possible
These measures on the part of surgeon and patient can help in dealing with the problem to a large extent.
I wish her the best of everything.
In case you have any questions about it, I will be glad to answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Tamoxifen in breast cancer treatment
- Suggest treatment for metastatic breast cancer
- Suggest treatment for recurrent breast cancer
- Cancer treatment breast cancer
- Afinitor treatment for breast cancer
- Suggest treatment for breast cancer
- Hormone treatment for breast cancer
- Early stage breast cancer treatment
- Suggest treatment for 3b breast cancer
- Radium treatment for breast cancer