question-icon

Suggest treatment for stabbing pain on the penis

Posted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015
Question: I feel stabbing pain in my penis when I'm not even touching it, it doesn't happen all the time but every so often I would feel a shooting pain. I also have what I think is yellow semen discharge, I'm suspecting it could be some type of infection but I'm not a hundred percent sure.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert (33 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Possible UTI or other penile infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have been experiencing discharge from your penis along with sharp pain. This is concerning for an infection. If you are sexually active and have not used protection then this could be a STD most commonly gonorrhea. Gonorrhea is caused by the gonococcal bacteria entering into the penis from regular intercourse but also possible from oral sex. The treatment is a course for antibiotics.

If it not gonorrhea there is also a several other bacterial infections that can cause the same problem and symptoms and called chlamydia and Non-gonococcal urethritis. Both of these infections can cause penile discharge and pain. Your doctor will need to take cultures to determine which infection you may have. This is also treated with antibiotics.

If you have not been sexually active then you could have contracted a urinary tract infection or prostate infection. These infections can start spontaneously. they both cause pain and burning with urination. A urine culture will determine if you have a UTI. Again antibiotics will help cure the infection.

In summary
1. Are you sexually active and had recent unprotected sex.
2. Possible STD Gonorrhea, chlamydia or Non-gonococcal urethritis
3. Treat with antibiotics.
4. Possible UTI or prostate infection also treat with antibiotics
5. Seek your doctor for proper testing to diagnose your problem

I hope this answers your question. Please contact HCM or me again for your health care concerns or questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert (23 minutes later)
Thank you for your answer it really helped clear things up for me. I had recent unprotected sex so i think it is an STD infection. I'm going to make plans to visit my doctor,but in the meantime is there any treatments I could do for the infection at home?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Plenty of fluids

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately there are no home remedies for this problem. You can help keep the infection controlled by drinking plenty of fluids. Drink enough water that makes your urine clear in color. The lighter the color of the urine the less concentrated and the better it is to wash your system.

Good Luck
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert (26 hours later)
Hi, is there any medicine i can get for the infection at the pharmacy?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No antibiotics available

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting me again with your health care questions. Unfortunately, there are no antibiotics over the counter that are available for purchase. You will need to see your doctor who can write for the proper antibiotics.

Sorry. Please see your provider as soon as possible to get the antibiotics.

I hope this answers your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert (42 minutes later)
Ok and one more thing, is it ok to use a reliever to ease the pain?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Use Nitrofurantoin

Detailed Answer:
There is a medication OTC called Nitrofurantoin that women use for UTIs that maybe able to help reduce the burning on urination. It will turn your urine an orange color so don't be surprised. It will numb the bladder and the urethra so your discomfort will be more bearable.
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert (13 minutes later)
Oh ok but what about Ibuprofen?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert (7 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen will not help

Detailed Answer:
Ibuprofen will not help because the urethra pain is not caused by inflammation but will be caused by the bacteria and the irritation from the bacteria. You can try it but I wouldn't expect much help. Try the Nitrofurantoin as it is an analgesic that will actually numb the urethra and stop the pain.

Dr. Ronald Schubert