Suggest treatment for stabbing pain in the back

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Back pain above hip, around waist level. Movement creates stabbing pain.
Came on since got up yesterday over about 6 hours. Don't recall doing anything to injure, unless
Picking up s mall dog night before. Pain seems to be about 2" across. W hat should treatment be?
Taking Aleave
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get xray done.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the query.

From the symptoms it seems their occurs disc prolapse (minor) which may be due to even minor trauma or even in some people after lifting weight from bending position.

All you need is to have xray of lumbosacral spine in AP and Lateral view and send me the report.

I want to see present condition of disc space and vertebrae.

Till then have tab. aceclefenac100mg+thiocolchicoside 4mg twice a day, by prescription of your treating doctor as this medicine is not over the counter.

Take rest, do not do even light weightlifting for atleast a week.

Apply hot packs.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy