Suggest treatment for stabbing pain in the abdomen
Detailed history and clinical evaluation and relevant investigations
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history related to girlfriend. Young lady has upper central abdominal pain, burning with stabbing, hospitalized twice in 15 days, investigated by labs reports, endoscopies, Obgyn opinion. All normal, no reasons found and discharged.
I would advise her the following in such a situation:
Since the pain is related to upper central abdomen, following things can be taken under consideration:
Conditions related to Stomach, duodenum, gall bladder, pancreas, transverse part of colon, abdominial aorta and a functional element.
Further things advised are:
- Detailed history related to:
Since when is the problem?
How was it started?
What are associated symptoms like nausea, vomiting, constipation, bloating, fever, jaundice, radiation of the pain to the back, any rash like herpes, relation to the food/fluids intake and so on. This is the most important part to decide the further investigations and treatment too.
- Suggested investigations as I mentioned depend upon the detailed history, clinical evaluation by a General Surgeon and/or Gastroenterologist.
MRCP for detailed study of liver, gall bladder and pancreas
CT scan of the abdomen
ERCP and sphincteroplasty if required
- All these things can lead to to a probable diagnosis and possible treatment.
If all the investigations are normal something like IBS - the irritable bowel syndrome can be considered.
I hope this answers your query helps in early diagnosis and proper investigations, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the treatment for stabbing pain in groin area
- Treatment and cure for Stabbing pain
- Severe stabbing pain numbness and tingling in the vagina treatment
- Diarrhea sharp stabbing pain in stomach treatment options
- Sharp stabbing pain in abdomen
- Pregnant sharp stabbing pain in abdomen and scapula suggest
- What could cause stabbing pain on abdomen and shoulder
- Stabbing pain in the lower abdomen need medical attention
- Sudden pins and needles and stabbing pain in abdomen and ibs
- Stabbing pain on right side of abdomen