Suggest treatment for spondylolisthesis

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: hello doc.
few day earlier i get sudden sever pain at my lower back pain though seating down on knees
but by consulting with doc they suggest to take rest .and with that i get a relief .
but then too i gone for a MRI AND MY MRI STATE THIS REPORT.
1. SPONDYLOLYSIS of l5 with grade 1 anterolisthesis of l5 over s1 with deformed neural faramina further compressed by l5-s1 disc with likely imingement on exiting nerve roots
2. small disc bulge of l4-l5 level with mild thecal sac indentation and mild narrowing of neural faramina

its a request to have a look and suggest the best treatment in ur opinion
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Conservative management is all that is needed at the moment

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through your uploaded reports as well.

Stage 1 spondylolisthesis does not warrant a surgery unless the symptoms are severe and nerve compromise is evident.

As of now you can be managed medically.

You have received the right kind of treatment so far.

I advise you to get an MRI scan and follow up with a Neurosurgeon after 3 months.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 2 hours later
Hello doc
that's nice getting ur reply . But the thing is that here doc strictly suggest nt to carry heavy weight through hands but I love to do gym and being flexible all the time . Is it would be possible to doing my gym again and getting flexible without any fear
Or I have to be secure with not to take any types weight through hands whole life
.
And suggest what all I do of getting flexible and suggest exercise or
Any medicine
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weight lifting is not advisable in your case at the moment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can understand your concerns.

Weight lifting is absolutely contraindicated during the acute stages of a slipped disc.

You can attend gym once the spine issue is completely resolved.

No additional medications are needed.Your doctor has already prescribed all the standard medications.

Exercises for spondylolisthesis can be found on the weblink-http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/exercise-sciatica-isthmic-spondylolisthesis

These exercises have to be performed only under the trained supervision of a medical expert.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 5 hours later
Thanks doc for all
Last I don't know why my left side at lower back little bit pain in regular way is their .
But on spin I don't have any pain
What I do on this matter
At the time of sever pain I also get slight band on my left side
But know only thing is pain in my left lower back.
Why this so happening ??
Any extra treatment is needed or any exercise required
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
No additional treatment is required.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can understand your concerns.

These issues are probably related to mild nerve compression due to the slipped disc.Such issues arise commonly in the context of spondylolisthesis.

No extra treatment or exercise is required.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj