Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
148 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for spondyloarthritis

Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 5930 Questions

Posted on Tue, 3 Feb 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My husband is suffering from spondoarthritis...He always have pain the joint of bumps.

We have consulted several doctors & they have told, that this cannot be treated.

Please help.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
With proper medication and exercises he can lead an absolutely normal life.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.

Spondyoarthritis is a disease that is autoimmune in nature. It affects mainly spine and sacroiliac joints. Just like various chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension and Ischemic heart disease are not curable but controllable, Ankylosing spondylitis is also controllable. With proper medication and exercises he can lead an absolutely normal life without any pain or disability.

It is not advisable to stop medication on your own as it only leads to accrual of joint damage and leads to joint deformities.
So keep a positive attitude and take regular medication; also exercise regularly.

The response to treatment is measured by CRP (blood test).To lower levels of CRP /Inflammation we usually recommend the same lifestyle changes shown to reduce heart disease - diet, exercise, not smoking, drinking less alcohol, following a heart-healthy diet, anti-inflammatory diet that includes two to three servings of fish such as salmon or sardines per week. If he don't eat fish, my suggestion would be take fish oil supplements along with anti-inflammatory herbs including ginger and turmeric.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 20 minutes later
What type of medications are advisable???
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sulfsalazine/Methotrexate along with and pain killer.

Detailed Answer:

The drugs usually given are Sulfsalazine/Methotrexate along with and pain killer. In addition, relatively new drugs called biologics - Enbrel (etanercept), Humira (adalimumab), Remicade (infliximab) - have been used under rheumatologist guidance for treating ankylosing spondylitis.

Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Blood test

doctor1 MD

i am a diabetic patient last 10 years, every day i am taking Onglyza5mg after lunch, every 3 months i an checking HBA1c, and my last 3 reading are...

doctor1 MD

I have allergy problem. I am getting and itchiness on my body. My lymphocytes is 19 (which should be 20-45) and my absolute eosinophil count is 522...

doctor1 MD

DEAR SIR/MADAM MY MARRIAGE IS OVER NEARLY TWELVE MONTHS OLD. I have done all check ups incl semen and serum analysis,hemoglobin thyroid and blood...

doctor1 MD

I have been experiencing headaches on a daily bases for the pass two days. In addition, I recently had blood work done with all normal values with...

doctor1 MD

I am having sinus pressure and I recently had pneumonia . I do use salt water rinse. Today I kept falling asleep. I got up and ate dinner but...

doctor1 MD

My ESR Test Result: 30mm/hr in 1st hour and 2nd hour 60mm/hr why it’s come like can you please explain. Last 2 weeks on word i ma getting itching...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my upper right hand side of my chest, feel sick after eating, and get really hungry, and thirsty. Could this indicate esophageal...