Suggest treatment for spinal stenosis in a diabetic

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi I have spinal stenosis and type 2 diabetes. I have difficulty walking and have foot drop. My ankles are weak as well as knees mostly on left. Wouls an ankle brace or support help?
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery has 70% success rate

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

Your doctor has rightly advise you surgery, even if I would be your treating surgeon I will advise you surgery.

Because you have diabetes in addition, control of diabetes and then surgery becomes even more necessary.

Diabetes itself cause degeneration of nerves.

Even your doctor has tell you about 50 to 55 % success rate, but I advise you to consult some more orthopedic surgeon as rate is around 70 to 75% depends upon experience of surgeon.

No need to think of other remedies in your case, already you have foot drop.

Medicines will not be much beneficial for your case.

I hope you convinced yourself for surgery.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj