Suggest treatment for spinal stenosis and neuropathy in the feet

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: What is the best option for treatment when you have been diagnosed with L1L5 spinal stenosis and neuropathy(left foot).? Pinched nerve
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are three treatment options.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your clinical and MRI details. There are three treatment options in the order of preference:

1. Medications such as pregabalin or duloxetine, combined with physical therapy. This works in 70% of patients.

2. Epidural injection of steroid- helps another 20% in pain relief.

3. The last 10% need surgery.

If there are neurological deficits such as foot drop or foot numbness or difficulty in passing urine, surgery should be directly preferred.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D