Suggest treatment for spinal disc herniation

Question
Disc herniation 4mm at C5-C6 with osteophytes and lateral recess encroachment. Postlateral bilateral disc herniation C6-C7. Is this bad as far as treatment goes.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is guided by your symptoms!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these findings. Treatment is initially medical and surgery only considered if drugs fail to control your symptoms. For sure this would cause pain and how bad the pain is would determine how aggressive treatment would be and whether surgery would be an option or not.

What treatment options has your doctor proposed to you? Have you tried drugs with no improvement of your symptoms? I will like to hear you out on this. Treatment decision cannot be solely dependent on the findings on imaging studies without been correlated with your symptoms.

In all, treatment can be done using drugs initially and then surgery if symptoms persist. Even if surgery is indicated, advances in this field have greatly improved recovery and reduce complications.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.