Suggest treatment for speech delay in a child

Dr. Meera Kotecha

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in ADHD
Question: My child is 34 months, but not talking yet what should i do? he utter words like no, ma, pa but does not talk.
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
speech delay,get assesement, start speech therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using health care magic.
I can understand your concerns.
In my opinion he definitely has speech delay as by three years child should talk in short sentences.
I would like to know few more details about your child
How is his non verbal communication? Does he point things he wants?
Does he uses sign to indicate what he wants? how is his understanding?
Does he follow commands and instructions?
How is his social interaction?

I would suggest you see a developmental paediatrician and get his assessment to rule out autism and other communication disorders.
He will benefit with the speech therapy. The methods for the speech therapy will depend on his diagnosis.
I hope I have helped you.
If you have any further queries please feel free to ask.
I hope I have helped you.
Thank you.
Dr. Meera Kotecha
Developmental and Behavioural Paediatrician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Meera Kotecha 3 hours later

Hello Dr. XXXXXXX
Thanks so much for your advice.
Regarding the below questions
I would better describe it with instances,
For example 1) if he wants water to drink he would go and stand near the RO Mounted on the wall,if I delay and keep asking XXXXXXX wants paani, he would reach up to a glass and give it to me.
2)if its time in the evening and he hears children noises in the balcony he will bring a tshirt for his granana and give it to him and stand near the main door, many a time he brings his slippers or cap.
3) if he is hungry he will open the refrigerator and hand me the box in which i keep dosa batter; and he would stand in the kitchen with a plate in his hand.

He understands no, open, inside , outside , come here ;but many a times he will not respond too.
if he doesnot get what he want he will go inside a roo\om and close the door , or hide his face with his hand, or close his eyes and cry.
How is his social interaction?
he hugs people when he sees them after a long time, for example he will hug me at the door when i come back from office , shakes hand when i ask say hello, waves his hand and says tata.
with regards to social interaction when he sees other kids he jumps and tries to get their attraction, he goes and hugs them too.
I am based in XXXXXXX Could you please suggest few good doctors for assesments as well as speech therapy.
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out Autism

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for you detailed description.

From what you say it seems that his non verbal communication is poor. It may be a sign of autism. But good sign is that his socialization is good. So it may be only communication delay.
His detailed assessment is required.

Dr. XXXXXXX Mundakur is a developmental paediatric in XXXXXXX She will be able to assess you child and guide you regarding speech therapist. You can get her clinic address by searching on internet with her name.

I hope I have helped you.
If you have further queries please feel free to ask
Thank you.
Dr. Meera kotecha
Developmental and behavioral paediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari