Suggest treatment for soreness in neck and slight dizziness after injury

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I had an Auto accident about 1.5 months ago. Did not have any injuries at the time. About a week later I had a very sore neck, went to Dr, and he had Xrays of my nect done. Found nothing out of the ordinary other than old calcification.
About 2 days ago I started having some slight neck pain, mostly after sitting for a long period of time or after getting up from bed. Some slight dizziness which goes away after I am up for a few minutes. Played golf two days ago and also today.
Answered by Dr. Geldon Fejzo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Neck strain

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I have been through your question and understand your concern.

The auto accidents are very often related to neck pain and are commonly called neck strain. It is very important that the Xray came back normal, excluding vertebral injuries. But the Xray can not exclude muscular injury of the neck. And this is basically the cause of your persisting symptoms.

This is a totally benign condition and is self limiting in a two weeks generally. Sometimes common NSAIDs are prescribed such as Ibuprofen 200 mg twice daily to alleviate the symptoms. When the pain (which generally is positional) becomes disturbing, a soft cervical collar might be used. At last muscle relaxants might me recommended at times.

The dizziness is related to the blood flow which passes in the cervical vertebral bodies and might somehow be related to the local inflammatory process of the injured muscles.

Basically, this is a benign situation. Do not worry. In a couple you will be just fine.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Geldon Fejzo

Neurologist, Surgical