• question-icon

Suggest treatment for soreness and irritation on the scalp

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have sores and irritation of my scalp. I have been to 4 dermatologists who say I have dermatitis. They give me creams and shampoos but it does not get better. I am in very good help and not under stress. My head itches and the skin is irritated all the and I can't get to sleep because of it. Is there anything that will heal the sores and stop the irritation
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A picture would help

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. It sure does sound like dermatitis. It could also be some kind of scalp parasite. However, without a picture I am not able to say much.
So please upload a picture and also do provide some more information as to how long have you been suffering from this condition and what specifically gave you relief, even for a short time.
I will be waiting for this information.
wishing you all the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 days later
Thank you. I will send a couple pictures. I have been suffering with head sores for about 18 months. It started with my ears itching and I have areas of rough patches of skin at the back hairline. Then there are several open sores that won't heal in different areas on the scalp. My husband had this condition for several years. i keep telling him I got this from him but I did not know that dermatitis is contagious. Pictures to follow soon
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Infection

Detailed Answer:
From the information you provided I suspect it is an infectious condition, such as a fungal infection, hair folliculitis or impetigo. Based on the medications you have tried I might be able to narrow down the potential causes.
However, the most accurate way to diagnose this is scalp biopsy. Taking a small skin sample from your scalp and examining it under a microscope would give the definitive answer to this tedious problem.
I will be waiting for the pictures.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ornela Ademovi