• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sore throat

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: This was prescribed for me yesterday at a Minute Clinic . I had a moderate sore throat that tested neg for strep. I followed directions - 10- 15mg. gargle and spit, every 4 hours up to 3 days, XXXXXXX of 8 doses. The first dose was my last. It tastes horrible and didn't numb my mouth or throat. Was this Rx overkill for what I termed a "moderate" sore throat?
I am 75 years old and other than sleep apnea which causes me to use a mask nightly I think my health is good.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mouth gargles can be used for both moderate and severe sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear.

Mouth gargles can be used for both moderate and severe sore throat. It contains antiseptic solution like betadine or chlorhexidine which will prevent the growth of bacteria in mouth and pharynx. Sometimes the doctor may also prescribe antibiotics like Amox or Azithral along with this mouth gargle.

Some people may not like the taste. But nevertheless it is good for sore throat. You can also try salt water gargling with hot water, in case you dont like the taste of mouth gargle solution which you have been prescribed. You can discuss with your doctor about antibiotics in case he/she hasn't prescribed.

Hope i have answered your question. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I ll be glad to help you.
All the best
With warm regards
Dr Sanjay Kini     

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sanjay Kini