Suggest treatment for sore throat

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a sore throat since fri. On sat I started a z pack. I had one here because my husband past a few months ago and the day of his funeral I felt sick so the dr prescr. Me one which I didn't need. None the less I have soreness on the left side being it was the weekend I started the pack. How long before it starts working
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can take a few days

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It can take 1 to 3 days for an effect though there should be some initial mild improvement after 24 hours if it is a bacterial infection

Sore throat can be due to viral or bacterial infection, with viral infection occurring in over 80% of cases but if the pain is severe and associated with high fever then it is possible that it is bacterial

If it is bacterial and it does not respond then it may mean that the bacteria causing the infection is resistant to the antibiotics used.

In addition to the antibiotics, you may also want to use an oral anti inflammatory pain killer (once there is no medical reason that you cannot use any of these meds) such as naproxen, ibuprofen or cataflam along with a topical agent.

Topical agents such as chloroseptic or covonia throat spray that contain an anti septic and pain killer, would also help.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions