question-icon

Suggest treatment for sore throat

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015
Question: I have had a sore throat and am feeling a lot better after a course of Nexium. Is it necessary for an endoscopy and colonoscopy?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:

sore throat is not an indication for either upper or lower gastrointestinal tract endoscopy (colonoscopy). A sore throat is usually caused by infections. Nexium helps with gastric acidity. If you've also had reflux symptoms, then nexium might help with them too.

The only reason to do an upper endoscopy would be esophagitis but this is not like a sore throat. It may cause a feeling that the food is stuck in the esophagus before reaching the stomach. Reflux symptoms are expected though and you haven't mentioned any!

I hope I've helped!
If you'd like more information, please provide more details about your symptoms and medical history and I'll be glad to help more.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis