Suggest treatment for sore throat with swollen tonsils

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am a 30 year old female smoker and for the past month and a half I've had a sore throat with swollen tonsils. I've been to the doctor twice, and was diagnosed with tonsillitis both times. they gave me an antibiotic the first time, I can't remember the name of it, the second time they gave me a z-pack. I am still experiencing swelling in my tonsils along with small white spots.I have also noticed a small bulge or lump on my left tonsil. I am also feeling lethargic and just worn out in general. I have not noticed any fever, however.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you will need another course of antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello

From your complaints , it looks like that you are having a tonsil infection ( which is giving rise to the white spots on the surface of tonsils).

It is possible that the micro-organisms causing your infection are resistant to the antibiotics you have taken and you will need to meet your ent doctor , he will take a throat swab and send it for microbial culture. Once the micro-organism is known , you can be started on appropriate antibiotics , which will give you relief.

I would also like you to start gargling with chlorhexidine mouth wash 2-3 times a day, which will help reduce your infection.

worn out and lethargic feeling is due to the infection and will disappear once the infection is treated.

I would like you to stop smoking , avoid spicy and cold food items and take lots of rest and drink lots of water , it will help you recover faster!