Suggest treatment for sore throat that is resistant to Penicillin
A few possibilities
Hello and welcome,
I am sorry you are still feeling so badly. There are a few possibilities that could be going on:
It's possible that the strep you have is only partially sensitive to penicillin. To sort this out, a throat swab can be sent for a test called "culture and antibiotic sensitivity". The lab will test the strain of Strep you have against a variety of antibiotics.
It's possible you have a secondary infection now, ie strep plus another bug that moved in because conditions were right. Possibly the penicillin is treating the strep but a virus moved in, such as Epstein Barr, which can give a bad sore throat. It is not uncommon for these two to occur together.
It's possible, but less likely, that you have thrush from the antibiotic, which can cause a sore mouth, throat, tongue and white patches.
It's possible, but less likely, that you developed an abcess in the tonsils. Usually, you would see this.
So, I think given the level of pain you are having, and that you have been on the antibiotic for 24 or more hours, you should go back to doctor or urgent care clinic or ER and be seen. They can look in your throat and see what might be going on. Rather than just giving you another antibiotic, it would be best if they swabbed again and sent it for culture and sensitivity, and tested for EBV if they didn't last time.
Hope you are feeling better soon. If you are willing, please give me an update afterwards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for sore throat after fever
- Suggest treatment for recurrent sore throat
- Suggest treatment and prevention of sore throat
- Suggest treatment for cold with sore throat
- Coughing and sore throat suggest the treatment
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and chest
- Suggest treatment for recurring sore throat
- Suggest treatment for sore throat
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and dry cough
- Suggest treatment for sore throat with headache