Suggest treatment for sore throat post a gallbladder surgery

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello.
I had gallbladder surgery 5 days ago. I woke up two days ago with a sore throat and a my tongue and upper back of my throat felt a little swollen. I woke up this morning with a bright red tongue and a sore throat that hurts when I swallow anything rough, like toast. Not a lot of pain but discomfort with swallowing. I was taking hydrocodone first but couldn't tolerate that and had to go to the ER because I felt like I couldn't breathe the day after surgery. I was worked up for cardiac and clots. Both were fine. My pain med was changed to dilaudid and zofran. I took these for 4 doses about every 6 hours. I haven't taken any medications since Thursday morning. I'm wondering if I should see a doctor or wait until Monday. No shortness of breath or anything like that. My tongue doesn't appear to be swollen any longer nor does the roof of my mouth.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See next please

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

If there are no breathing difficulties and symptoms are pulling back then you should not be worried and there is no urgent need to see doctor.

It may have been caused by tongue/laryngeal irritation due to intubation during anesthesia and this can be treated at home with rest, painkillers, adequate hydration and chamomile tea with honey. Take steam inhalation twice daily for the time being. XXXXXXX warm saline water gargling twice daily will also be helpful.

Feel free to ask further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee