Suggest treatment for sore throat, cold and fever

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 25 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have had a chest cold, major sore throat, swollen glands and low grade fever off and on now for a week+. during that time i also got pink eye which I went to urgent care and received a script for drops which seemingly took care of that. I thought i was on the mend this weekend, but last night was brutal with the coughing. Trying sleep sitting up but that's so-so. Taking mucinex for the past few days and advil. The sore throat seems to get really bad late afternoon to the point difficult to swallow. No white bumps in throat, just red. Temp is only 98.7 but my norm is usually 97.8/9...I have never been a 98.6 person. Also pain in the ears.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute pharyngitis with otitis media

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You are having pharyngitis and now there is inflammation of the middle ear causing pain.This is due to eustachian tube blockage. The coughing is due to Post nasal drip.
My advice is you should take an antibiotic and an oral decongestant rather than advil. Use decongestant nasal drops thrice daily. Also take steam inhalation. stop mucinex and take a dry cough syrup. Use hexidine gargles.
Take tablet vitamin c once daily
Take steam inhalation.
it will take few days for complete relief.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj