Suggest treatment for sore throat and swollen tonsils
My jugular now feels almost atrophied (L-side) and I can now "see" the newest growth that I have concern for, inside my open-mouthed exam, growing inward on the L-side with a topographical blood-red and white streaked (some white blister like areas) larger than a tonsil or adenoid (norm. size), encompassing most of the back of my throat. I can hardly speak, cannot swallow more than bullion soup consistency, and a fever of 102-highest of 104.8 with tylenol on a regular basis.
I cannot get in to see my PCP until Wed.afternoon, yet with my discomfort level, nerves, sleeplessness and inability to talk to my husband w/o writing on paper and crying (also painful), i'm not sure if I can or should wait till then.
Do you have any input as to what it could be? what I should do till then for the discomfort for the most part?
Sore throat leading to swollen tonsils/adenoids
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. The newly appeared growths that you mention actually seems to be the adenoids. It seems that you have caught cold and are currently suffering from sore throat. Most often it is due to certain viral infections, possibly due to Epstein Barr virus (infectious mononucleosis) and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Please be patient, as even if it is due to a bacteria (like Streptococcus), irrespective of use of antibiotics, it should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days. Gurgling with lukewarm water is the mainstay of treatment and should provide relief. You need to take paracetamol or acetaminophen to bring down the temperature.
Feel free to ask back in case of further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for recurrent sore throat
- Sore throat swollen tonsils difficult to swallow suggestions
- Suggest treatment for cold with sore throat
- Coughing and sore throat suggest the treatment
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and chest
- Suggest treatment for recurring sore throat
- Suggest treatment for sore throat
- Treatment for sore throat and swollen tonsils with white patches
- Swollen tonsils no sore throat
- Suggest treatment for sore throat with headache