Suggest treatment for sore throat and swollen glands after performing cunnilingus

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Can I contract a sore throat and swollen glands, that responds to antibiotics after performing cunnilingus? If so, what does my girlfriend need to do so that I won't keep getting sick after performing cunnilingus on her?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please see the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Ι have gone through your question.

As per your concern, I think this could be a gonococcic infection.

It is known that one half to three quarters of women infected with gonorrhea have no symptoms or only slight symptoms which are ignored and they aren't aware of having gonorrhea.

Gonococcal infection of the pharynx is the result of orogenital sex and occurs more through fellatio than cunnilingus.

Usually sore throat with fever and lymphadenopathy are common manifestation of this infection. So, what I'd suggest for you is to inform her to do a test for gonorrhea. Just meet an infectious diseases specialist and to get a prompt adequate treatment at the same time only along with you if the result is positive.

During this time it is recommended not to have any sexual relation till the end of treatment.
It is known that ciprofloxacin orally, that you have used (500 mg as a single dose) could be a choice to treat gonorrhea .

I hope my answer helps you. Feel free to ask further.
I wish you a quick recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee