Suggest treatment for sore throat and sore swollen tongue

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Sat, 6 Sep 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I've been having a sore throat, sore swollen tongue for a month. also the side of my face from my lower ear down to my jaw hurt to touch. I've been to the doctor and had a strep and mono test done...both negative. no fever or sinus drainage. doctor has given me Cipro and the cefdanir. neither have helped. went to the ent and he said everything was swollen but didn't know why. please help....been in pain for weeks. oh and I do have hashimotos disease and take armour for it.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tooth infection, cellulitis, antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
As far as the pain, sore throat, sore swollen tongue is concerned the possible cause can be the gum infection over the wisdom tooth (pericoronal infection leading to space infection) or other tooth.
Consult a oral physician and get a radiograph done to rule the amount of space present for the tooth to erupt if space is there for the tooth to erupt then the gum covering over the wisdom tooth can be removed.
if the infection is in the other tooth, get the tooth restored.
If the space is not available then you have to get the wisdom tooth removed.
Mean while you can take a course of antibiotics like amoxicillin 500mg and metronidazole 400mg tid for 5 days (if you are not allergic).
Do saline gargling. i hope my answer will help you, take care.
If any queries are there reply me back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad