Suggest treatment for sore throat and sinus infection

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Wed, 6 May 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: I had been without any illness for nearly a year when I contracted a blood born parasite after a trip to VI in Feb. that cleared up in a month. It was immediately followed by a terrible sore throat and sinus infection that lasted 10 days. I was on Cephalosporin for that despite no positive culture because I was so sick. I was fine for 10 days then came down with what seems like a virus: mild fever, fatigue, muscle aches, mild sore throat, intermittent red skin rash on trunk that is painfully itching ( looks like mild case of hives). No allergies. Moved from WI to small town in AZ last Dec. No exposure to sick people. Physical in Feb showed no problems. No chronic health issues. Could I have mono? My son, whom I visited last month when feeling good, has high Epstein-Barr virus titter. Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get EBV-Specific antibodies test done

Detailed Answer:
Hello

My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Your symptoms are nonspecific but according to your current situation it would be better to rule it out once. For this i would suggest you to visit hospital and get "heterophile antibodies test " which is both sensitive & specific for EBV OR EBV-Specific antibodies test.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!