Suggest treatment for sore throat and post-nasal drip

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I developed a cold sore about 10 days ago after a long haul trip to San Francisco. As the sore cold on my lip started to go away another one began to show up on my lip. This came after me spending a long day walking in the sun. I treated them using off the counter medication (ojel).

I returned home two days later (a week ago) also spending 16hrs on the plane. One day after my  arrival I developed a sore throat and had post nasal dripping. I had no fever. I saw an ENT specialist and she did a strep test which turned negative. She gave me advil and bedatine gargle. One day later I developed a rash on my face arms hands and lower legs. I went back to doctor and dermatologist saw me and thought it was a reaction to the cold sore virus. He gave me antihistamines. This was yesterday. I feel better today but my sore throat is still there. I have the feeling of thorns in there and it hurts if I drink water or eat something.

I am fine when I use water with salt to gargle and yoghurt soothes it too. I am a bit worried that I have a rash and that the sore throat has lasted for four days already.

I am interested in hearing other doctor opinions on what to do next should the sore throat not going away. The cold sore has begun to fade away though and only the sore throat is not improving quickly enough.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned because the sore throat has been present for a few days already along with a rash but the fact that the strep tests is negative means bacterial infection is not likely.

In addition, bacterial infections would normally be associated with severe persistent fever. If this is present, then you may need to be rechecked.

Rash is a common part of viral infections though more commonly in children. Called viral exanthem.
Normally resolve with or soon after the infection resolves.

You should continue the use of the advil and gargle.

You may want to switch to a gargle that has both a pain killer and antiseptic such as chloroseptic and covonia.

Continue using cold and soft foods till the symptoms resolve.

If you are still not sure then you can see your doctor for reassessment

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 minutes later
what else can the doctor do if the symptoms continue beyond a week?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
additional medications and re test

Detailed Answer:
HI

If the sore throat lasts beyond 1 week and remains severe, may want to determine if there is nasal congestion or post nasal drip present.
Mucus to the back of the throat can irritate it and contribute to sore throat.

In that case, using a decongestant, both oral and topical , would help

In addition, can take another look at the back of the throat and consider retesting to see if it is actually bacterial but the first result was falsely negative

Please feel free to ask any other questions