Suggest treatment for sore throat and post nasal drip

Posted on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I picked up a bug at my son's wedding last Saturday. Started with a sore throat, the next day, I sneezed off and on all day. I flew home the following day and by the time I got in, all three symptoms were present, including a stuffy nose. I started taking Claritin D on the plane, and used my Nasacort to open up my nose for the flight. My symptoms go from stuffy nose, to runny nose, to such horrible post nasal drip that I choke for a minute before it stops. The draining also escalates at night and once it does, my sleep is shot. I often have to blow my nose for what seems like forever to empty it. I have no fever, no chest congestion, but today is a full week and I don't seem to be getting any better. My mucus is not overly thick or green in color, but is runs from clear to a bit yellow. Am I using the wrong medications (I also tried a Sudafed-type med in place of the Claritin D for one day, but it didn't help at all)? Is it typical to take beyond a week, or is it time to see a doctor? Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stop Claritin D...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I have gone through the query thoroughly and understood your problem; I'll try my best to help you with this.

1. You seem to be having viral infection, turning into bacterial. Normally, the viral infection will be there for 3-5 days. If the infection doesn't settle within this period, secondary bacterial infection takes over.

2. Secondly, Claritin D alone may not suffice.

3. My suggestions to you are:
a). Drink plenty of warm water.
b). Do steam inhalation 2-3 times a day for 2 minutes.
c). Try using saline nasal spray, as frequently as possible. Saline nasal spray helps in easy clearance of the nasal secretions and reduces the nasal congestion.
d). Also, try taking mucolytics such as ambroxol or bromhexine to reduce the consistency of the nasal secretions.
e). Hold Claritin D for few days. The former medicine increases the consistency of the secretions and causes stasis of the same in the sinuses and the nasal cavity.
f). Avoid chilled food and beverages, smoking and coffee.

Hope with the above measures you should get better. If not, consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your query; revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later
You suggested that I stop Claritin & try taking mucolytics such as ambroxol or bromhexine. These appear to be antibiotics, so are you suggesting I see a doctor? I don't have insurance, so if this is viral, it's a waste of my money; but if as your answer indicates, you think it has become bacterial, in which case I would have to see a doctor.
fyi: I have started using a Simple Saline Sinus Wash, which does seem to be helping.
I didn't know about chilled food and beverages. I've been drinking ice water all these days, so I'll adjust that as well.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mucolytics are not antibiotics...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

I'm sorry, mucolytics are not antibiotics. Mucolytics are used to reduce the consistency of the sinus secretions. In many countries, it is available over the counter without any prescription.

Please continue with saline washes and spray. Do steam inhalation regularly; you will definitely feel better. If the symptoms do not get better with the above measures, you should consult your doctor.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Wish you good luck and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Thanks for clarifying that. I stopped the Claritin yesterday & did a few saline washes. After a nice, steamy shower before bed, I slept through the night for the first time in a week! I already feel much better today & will continue this line of treatment. Hopefully I'll be ready to face a very busy work week on Monday! Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good luck and good health...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

It is good to know that you are getting better with the home remedies. I wish you speedy recovery and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist