Suggest treatment for sore throat and pain in the ears

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Ongoing problem..... 4 years now....... think I have gallbladder problems along with.... First, I have been to an ENT specialist, had upper GI, colonoscopy, blood work checks out - although last blood work done about 4 weeks ago ALT was a 73, doctor retesting for that in a couple of months. Here is what happens, I get a feeling like there is a football under my right ribcage, this seems to cause acid reflux as well, however, the pain will then drift to other parts on the same side...ie, under armpit, hip, leg and even into the top of my foot. This is not an everyday thing, but at least 4 out of 7 days per week. This pain does not always happen on the right side. This morning I woke up with a sore throat, left side, my immediate thought was that acid reflux caused it, but by lunch time I not only have the sore throat but pain in my left ear, jaw, under my armpit, seems like my tongue is swollen a bit too, doesnt look like it is, but feels like it is, pain has also drifted down into my hip. This is typical..... what I just described can last 2 or 3 days, then stop for 1 day, then happen again on the right side and the left side is good. Getting a little tired of it all. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS, GERD , supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. History of gallbladder problem, acid reflux, distended feeling under ribcage, generalised abdomen pains radiating to different places in the body with normal work up is very typical of irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux causing your sore throat and ear pain as well as swollen tongue all due to acid reflux.

Treatment is mostly supportive, modifying diet and lifestyle is first step. Lose weight, eat small frequent meals, avoid triggers like dairy products, spicy foods, processed canned foods, alcohol, beverages, caffeine , tea, chocolates etc. Use more fibers and fluids. Add yogurt and peppermint with it as supplement. Use amitriptyline it helps irritable bowel symptoms very much . Chew a sugar feee bubble gum after meals. Delay lying down after meals. Keep BMI less than 25.

As far as ALT of 73 is concerned, its nothing to worry about, slight raised ALT is alright up to two or three times normal. Nutshell, every thing is alright and you need is diet lifestyle adjustments.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Reards
Khan