Suggest treatment for sore throat and nasal congestion
indicators of strep
Hello and thank you for your question.
She is most likely just getting a viral upper respiratory infection. The indications that her sore throat are a strep infection requiring antibiotics are 1) inflamed throat with white patches, 2) fever, 3) swollen lymph nodes in the front of the neck and 4) no cough. The more of these symptoms she has the more likely it is she has strep. If it is a strep infection she would need to see a doctor in the next few days to get an antibiotic. Antibiotics are really to protect her from the complications of strep which can damage the heart and kidneys.
If she just has a viral infection she will probably have cough, congestion, sore throat and she may develop a runny nose. She may possibly have a low grade fever or even a below normal temperature.
The best she can do for a viral infection is to push fluids and take ibuprofen or naproxen for fevers.
I hope she is feeling better soon and that she does great on her boards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sore throat nasal congestion body aches
- Suggest treatment for nasal congestion
- Sore throat nasal congestion breathlessness chest heaviness croupe cough
- Sore throat nasal congestion red bumps
- Sore throat nasal congestion after having protected sex std
- Nasal congestion ct scanenlarged turbinates monthly migraines sore throat dizziness
- Suggest treatment for cough and nasal congestion
- Sore throat nasal congestion pain in ear sinus congestion remedy
- Sore throat low grade fever nasal congestion
- Nasal congestion bumps behind tongue sore throat treatment