• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sore throat and cough

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I developed a painful sore throat on one side of my throat last night. This morning it is mostly gone but I awake with pain in the back of my neck. The pain extends to the base of my skull and becomes more intense when I cough or turn my head. I have no fever. Should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neck pain is most likely to be musculoskeletal

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting CHM

Your neck pain is likely to be muscle pain and nothing to be worried about.
Since you do not have fever and the throat pain has subsided, meningitis is not of concern right now.
However, if you develop worsening neck pain fever, confusion, head ache etc please go to the emergency room as it indicates possible meningitis.
Right now you can apply ice, take rest and Ibuprofen to help with neck pain.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal