question-icon

Suggest treatment for sore throat and cough

Posted on Mon, 2 Mar 2015
Question: I am currently having a sore throat and cough. I have been taking Extra strength Mucinex, 650mg acetaminophen, 3 or 4 times a day. I also took a percocet, 5-325mg. What concern should I have regarding potential liver problems. I just had an MRI last week and my digestive organs were all normal. What is the best over the counter medicine for sore throat and cough. I have no fever.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Better alternate ibuprofen with acetaminophen...

Detailed Answer:

Usually, the normal dosage of acetaminophen is up to 4 grams/day. The dosage 6 grams/day can cause toxic hepatitis (liver problems).

To my opinion, you should be using alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen.

Continue taking Mucinex to dissolve the mucus and help reduce the cough. You can also use an anti-hystaminic drug that you find over the counter such as ketotifen or Benadryl.

Oral antiseptic spray can also be used for sore throat.
Increase fluids intake like water, juice, tea, etc.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist