Suggest treatment for sore throat and cough

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 in Infections
Question: I have fever and sore throat from past 7 days. my fever ranges from 100 to 102.5. my cough is also very bad. I am not able to eat anything and if I eat anything solid I vomit out. because of weakness I fainted twice. I am taking medication. my medicines include
1. GUDCEF -CV 200
2. DOLO 650
3. REIENT
4. DILOSYN (liquid)

pls suggest on am i raking right medication and what has happened to me as now after 7 days i am not able to speak as well.

Attaching prescription for your reference.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute Pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to HCM.
I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I have read your query in detail. I understand your concern.
It seems you are suffering from Acute Pharyngitis or Tonsillitis. It might be a Streptococcal Sore throat.
I would like to know following details before commenting upon the treatment part:
1. You are having these problems since last 7 days and you consulted your doctor yesterday. So did you take any medications in between?? Specifically I want to know about the antibiotic.

2. How high is your fever ? Maximum recorded? Any chills and rigors associated?

3. Any cough and expectoration associated?

4. Is fever persistent?

5. How many doses have you taken since you have seen your doctor? Any amount of relief following medications?

Revert with these details so that I can help you better.
Stay Healthy
Dr Anshul Varshney, MD.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 25 minutes later
PFB answers to your ur questions.

1. I changed my doctor yesterday because earlier thr was no relief. PFA the earlier prescription. On very first day of fever I took crocin and glycodin.
2.Highest fever is 102.5 and sometimes I do shiver.
3. I cough all the time specially while talking and eating.
4. Fever is fluctuating bw 100 to 102.
5. I have taken 2 days dosage from yesterday medication and 3 days medication before that. No relief.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.

I have reviewed the prescriptions given by your doctors.

Since you have been started on antibiotics since yesterday, i would advise you to continue with that.

This is a good antibiotic.

However, i personally prefer to use Augmentin in such conditions.

Since you have been started on Gudcef-CV you should wait for 72 hours since the start of the antibiotic course.

If you don't get relief, then you should be started on Augmentin and testing should be done because of long duration of fever.

I would advise you to do Warm saline gargles and Gargles with 2 tablets of Disprin dissolved in water for symptomatic pain relief.

If you can send me a photograph clicked of your throat with wide mouth open, it would be of help because it seems you have Granular Pharyngitis.

Also, start doing Cholorohexidine gargles thrice a day.

I am hopeful, this should help you.

Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 minutes later
PFA the pics of my throat.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
I have seen the pic.
Throat seems to be congested.
I can also see one small pus filled point. I am not sure whether that is artifact or a real pus filled point.
In such conditions with such high fever, i advise to start on Tab Augmentin.
You may discuss with your doctor about that.
If you have any further query, you may please ask me.
Get Well soon.
Stay Healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj