Suggest treatment for sore thorat and cough while on treatment for broken rib

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
3 weeks ago i had a broken rib from a car accident they made throaic ct scan and the result was good with no complication just a broken undisplaced rib. After the accident three weeks ago i had a bit of a sore throat but now three weeks after it has increasesd to a cough which is on and off and has been for 5 days. I am taking aerius for the past 2 days and prospan . Should i take antibiotic just in case so that i dont develop an infection now that i am healing from a broken rib ?
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You must add antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Based on your symptoms associated with chest injury (rib fracture) which makes it difficult and painful to clear the secretion, I would suggest to add antibiotic preferably Tab.Augmentin (amoxy clav).Since, it is prescription only drug you may have to contact your local doctor.
You may do warm saline gargle along with steam inhalation.

Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sore thorat and cough while on treatment for broken rib 2 hours later
I am taking mucolyte and prospan im coughing a lot and spit some white clear mucus. I am coughing and the pain of my fractured ribs are ok (not too painful) . Shall i take augmentin even if i dont have other symptoms just coughing alot with mucus ?

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
In cough with mucus, secondary infection is common

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you
After going through your reply I would like to know-Do you have history of allergy and do you smoke?
In respiratory condition like yours with excessive mucus secretion and cough secondary infection are common and secondly it may be the cause of cough with mucus beside allergy.Hence, to prevent them it is recommended to have a 5 days course of antibiotic preferably augmentin.
Wishing you good health