Suggest treatment for sore spot on tongue

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Dental Health
Question: My wife has a sore spot on her tongue look like a cold sore but having trouble eating. Should she call our dentist primary doctor. What can she do tonight .
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More chances is that it is an Apthous Ulcer/ Canker sore.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX .
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns for your wife..

As per your complain a sore spot on the tongue can most commonly be a CANKER SORE or an APTHOUS ULCER which is a painful ulcer and can be caused by a number of conditions like Nutritional Deficiency of Iron, Vitamin B12 or folic acid, injury to tongue by tongue bite or sharp edge of tooth, allergic reaction to certain medication, eating more of citrus and acidic foods,Stress,smoking, acid reflux, hormonal changes, poor fitting dentures etc are a few common causes..

You need not to worry and make her do warm saline gargles..
-Sucking ice pops and cold water gargles can help..
-Apply a numbing ointment containing LIGNOCAINE [which is local anaesthetic agent] over the sore for pain relief especially during eating..
-If there is excess inflammation then a steroid based ointment containing TRIAMCENOLONE ACETONIDE 0.1% as it can help in reducing inflammation and pain..
-Ibuprofen [Advil or Motrin ] can be taken to reduce inflammation and pain..
-Avoid hot and spicy foods..
-Take a multivitamin tablet for 15 days.

-In case if it does not resolve in a period of 15 days then you should consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated for Cold sores which is a viral infection caused by Herpes simplex virus.

-Along with clinical evaluation the oral physician may also advise you a few laboratory investigations like Viral culture, Polymerase Chain Reaction, Antigen-antibody reaction as per the requirement to confirm the diagnosis..

In case if viral infection is diagnosed anti-viral therapy oral as well as topical has to be taken like Acyclovir[Zovirax].

In case if it is a canker sore and does not respond to other treatments then a short course of STEROIDS is the line of treatment as canker sores that does not respond to any other treatment are finally treated with steroids..

Hope this information helps..

Any further queries are most welcome..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards..
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj