Suggest treatment for sore on buttocks that bleed

Dermatologist
Question
I have a sore on my butt. It bleeds a little and has some puss.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be a boil

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are having a lesion on your buttock.

I have seen the picture attached.

It appears to have primarily been a boil ( or a furuncle in medical terms). However, the skin in that area seems irritated.

Could you please clarify a few questions so that I can assess better?

Have you been applying any creams or over the counter preparations which could have irritated the skin?

Do you have itching or burning or pain?

Do you have diabetes?

For how many days have you had this lesion?

Please get back to me with the above clarifications so I could suggest appropriate treatment.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sore on buttocks that bleed 26 minutes later
The skin was irritated from work as i was sweating and my jeans rubbed my skin. I have had it a couple of months. It swells then pops with puss and is very sore before it pops. Then a couple weeks later it swells again. I can push it and make it pop and the puss comes out. Ive never been diagnosed with diabetes .

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Furuncle

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the additional history.

I would consider the diagnosis of a furuncle or a boil.

1. You need to take a course of oral antibiotics like cephalexin or cloxacillin for 5 days. This has to be prescribed by your doctor.

2. You could apply an antibiotic cream containing 2% mupirocin or 1% fusidic acid twice a day for 10 days.

3. The reason for such irritation on your skin due to jeans rubbing against it could be dryness. Dryness can also cause recurrent boils as the bacteria can enter through cracks in the skin. Aplply a good moisturizer twice a day.

4. Do get your sugars re- checked if you have not checked in the last 6 months. Diabetes is also a common cause of recurrent skin boils.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sore on buttocks that bleed 9 minutes later
Its always in the exact same place. Do boils present in the same place or is it because it hasnt healed?

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Furuncle

Detailed Answer:

Untreated boils can form colonies of bacteria on the skin. This could cause recurrences at the same site whenever there is lowered immune status or local skin irritation.

Treatment with systemic antibiotics is therefore preferred to topicals alone.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko