Suggest treatment for sore nipples

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

Two days before i had sex with my wife. During that time i sucked her nipple too much. After that her nipple getting sore. Looks like crack and swelling and its pain full also . Could you please tell me what should we do ? Any oilment or any medicine which her nipple make normal ? Please give advise ASAP

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recommndation:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

It's possible that there is a small infection. I wouldn't put any more creams, oils, or medicine on it as these may cause further irritation, but apply hot compresses several times a day instead. This can help reduce infection. Take a clean wash cloth and soak it in very warm-hot (not so hot that it burns the skin!) clean water and apply it to the area. Do this several times a day - 5 times or more if possible.

It should start to get better in the next 2 days from the hot compresses. If it is not getting better in the next 2 days, OR if it starts to get worse before then, please see a doctor promptly.

It is hard to know the degree of problem without seeing it, but from what you are describing, this should help.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 20 minutes later
Shall I put salt with warm water ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just clean warm-hot water.

Detailed Answer:
No - just clean warm water. Boil the water ahead of time if you live in an area where the water isn't safe to drink out of the tap.

Epsom (magnesium) salts are sometimes used to help draw out infections, but I wouldn't use it in this situation because I don't want to dry out her skin any further.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
Ok doctor and no need for any ointment also ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Olive oil, small amount ok.

Detailed Answer:
Usually with nipples, it is best to just leave it alone and it will repair on it's own. A small amount of olive oil for a couple of days will be ok if the oil is clean, out of the bottle.

Has your wife ever had a baby or nursed?

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 minutes later
No. Newly married we are.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Ok then. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a deeper mastitis infection that nursing women can get.
Ok doctor :) Then only warm water and small amount olive oil no other things right ?
and restriction or avoid any food ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No food restrictions.

Detailed Answer:
Make water very warm, just short of being so hot it burns the skin.

Since she is not nursing, there really isn't anything she needs to avoid in terms of foods.