• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sore neck

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have had a sore neck for about two weeks. I feel like I have a head cold. but I don't have any sinus drainage. I feel weak.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please provide more details

Detailed Answer:

I suppose you mean that the back of your neck is sore? Not a sore throat (when you swallow)? Sometimes cold exposure, viral infection, cervical spine stenosis or slipped disc and even a muscle sprain/strain may cause a sore neck. A bad stance when sitting in front of the computer screen for a significant amount of time is another reason to feel your neck sore.

If it's a nerve problem (cold exposure, viral or cervical spine problems) then you may need a couple of weeks or more to recover. Sensory disorders are common (it could be numbness, tingling, etc). In muscular injury there's only pain, without sensory disorders.

Your weakness cannot be explained with current data. You haven't mentioned fever or headache, so I'll assume that you didn't have any.

In cases like this I usually prescribe simple analgesics like paracetamol with muscle relaxants (orphenadrine or others). Of course, clinical examination has to be done to identify useful signs for the diagnosis.

One final note about viral causes. Herpes is a consideration if it's one-sided pain. Skin lesions may follow the initial symptoms. The skin lesions may become visible even a week after the first symptoms.

If you could provide more details about your case, I'll be glad to comment on them. Important information may include:
- the exact location and extent of the pain.
- whether it's a constant pain or if it comes and goes.
- if there's anything that makes it worse or better (and what).
- how did it start, did it start abruptly or in a more progressive fashion?
- skin lesions in the area.
- any other detail that seems relevant to you.

Kind Regards!

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis